Learn Dutch: Lesson 6 (to know and to think)

Video: http://youtu.be/TY_zsFjrmzk

Today's lesson discussed how to say what you think or what you know.

1. Dialog I:


A: Hallo, weet jij waar de supermarkt is?
B: Ik denk dat hij daar is.
A: Bedankt.

Literal translation:
A: Hello, know you where the supermarket is?
B: I think that he is there. 
A: Thank you.

Right translation:
A: Hello, do you know where the supermarket is?
B: I think it is over there.
A: Thank you. 

  • de supermarkt should be it (het), however in spoken Dutch most people tend to use he/she (hij/zij) when speaking about things/places. 
2. Dialog II:

A: Goedenmiddag, weten jullie waar de bussen zijn?
B: Ik denk bij het station. 
C: Nee, ik weet zeker dat de bussen bij de trams zijn.

Literal translation:
A: Good mid-day, know you where the busses are?
B: I think at the station.
C: No, I know sure that the busses at the trams are.

Good translation:
A: Good afternoon, do you (plural) know where the busses are?
B: I think (they are) at the station.
C: No, I know for sure that the busses are at the trams.

3. Verb: to think (denken)
Ik denk, denk jij?
Jij denkt
hij/zij/het denkt
Wij denken
Jullie denken
Zij denken (meervoud)

I think, you think?
You think
He/she/it thinks
We think
You think (plural)
They think 

Examples:
Ik denk van niet. = 
I think from not > I don’t think so.
Denk jij dat het klopt? = Think you that it true? > Do you think that it’s true?
Jij denkt verkeerd. = You think wrong.
Hij denkt erover na. = He thinks about after. > He thinks about it.
Wij denken dat we niet komen. = We think that we not come. > We don’t think we will come. 

4. Verb: to know (weten)
Ik weet
Jij weet
Hij/zij/het weet
Wij weten
Jullie weten
Zij weten

I know
You know
He/she/it knows
We know
You know (plural)
They know

Examples:

Ik weet van niets. = I know from nothing. = I know nothing.
Weet jij waar ik boodschappen kan doen? = Know you where I groceries can do? > Do you know where I can do groceries?
Zij weet het vast wel. = She knows it firmly well. > She probably knows it. 
Wij weten het antwoord. = We know the answer.
Weten jullie hoe laat het is? = Know you (plural) how late it is? > Do you know the time?
Zij weten niet hoe zij het moeten doen. = They know not how they it must do. > They don’t know how to do it.















Share on Google Plus

About Frans

Ich helfe Ihnen Niederländisch lernen! Mit meinem Videos und auf diesem Blog hoffe ich, dass jeder, die Interessiert in Niederländisch ist, es besser lernen kann. Haben Sie fragen? Schreiben Sie eine Kommentar!
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 reacties:

Kommentar veröffentlichen